Friday, November 12, 2010

Let the rest begin...

So now for the good stuff. If words like dialated, contractions, etc. freak you out, you might not want to read this. This is mainly for my benefit so I don't forget the details!

During the visit from my mother, sisters and friend Lindsey, we did a lot of shopping and work getting everything ready for the boys. I knew this was the last chance I would have help before the babies arrived, so I took full advantage of it. I paid for it....

I was working at Bluegrass Yacht and Country Club and knew I would not be returning so I had already been training my replacement. On Tuesday, March 23 I let her know that I had a feeling this might be the last day with my help. I had a doctors appointment that afternoon and just knew I had overdone it the past weekend. My feet had begun to swell really bad and I could tell my blood pressure wasn't good. I had also started using the elevator at work and that was something I just didn't do. I ran up and down those stairs 20 times a day until I just couldn't do it anymore.

When I saw my doctor that afternoon, she asked me if I was still working. When I told her I was, her response was "Not anymore". I love her bluntness. I was put on moderate bed rest. No grocery shopping, no cleaning. Try to stay off my feet as much as possible. I did pretty well the first week. I watched a lot of TV, read a book, took lots of naps and ate a lot. I snuck out the following Wednesday to have a good meal and hear our good friends play bluegrass. I remember being so big that I couldn't scoot my chair up underneath the table. It felt like such a long trip for my fork to get from my plate to my mouth. I had some of the best blackberry cobbler. I was sitting the whole time and exposed the boys to good music, so I wasn't breaking the rules too bad.

Easter Sunday - April 4. I overdid it, once again. Bed rest was getting the best of me. I don't know how women do it for months! I really wanted to go to church because I knew it would be awhile before we could go again. Then our friends had invited us to their house for Easter Lunch. I figured as long as I was sitting just like I would be at my house, it was no problem. And I could have some human interaction too.

The next day I had another doctors appointment. We had another ultrasound (they're ordered monthly with multiples) and both boys were head down!!! This is what I had prayed for! I really DID NOT want a C-Section. Very few doctors attempt to deliver twins vaginally anymore and luckily, mine was. As long as both were head down and possibly if at least Baby A was head down. But now I didn't even have to worry about that because they were both head down!! Only if those little boogers would stay that way. It's not like they had that much room to move around.

Bad news was that I had to go to the hospital for tests. I had the beginning signs of Toxemia, which leads to pre-eclampsia. I calmly called my husband and told him to meet me at the hospital, I didn't want to go by myself. In fact, I believe he picked me up at the front doors of my doctors office and took me to my car in the parking garage so that I didn't have to walk so far. (Not really an important detail - ha) Once at Baptist, we got acquainted with the girl at the front desk. I still remember her name - Vanessa and she was from Oklahoma. I remember thinking it was a good thing I wasn't in labor because it took forever to do the paperwork and get into the room. Apparently I was having mild contractions that I was not feeling. I was given fluids to slow down the contractions and sent home when they were stabilized. I was also put on strict bed rest. I could only get out of bed or off the couch to go to the bathroom and taking a quick shower would be pushing it.

I was very good this time. I did as I was told and stayed on the couch or in bed. If I needed something to drink or eat, I'd plan it when I had to get up to go to the bathroom. I'd get everything done at once and get right back to the couch.

This lasted until the wee hours of Sunday, April 11. I woke up at 2:30am with a contraction. I laid in bed for an hour thinking they would go away, but they weren't. I finally woke Kelly up and told him we needed to go to the hospital. I decided I needed a shower first though, because I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get another one for awhile if I was in the hospital. When I got out of the shower, Kelly was already up and had the bags packed and the car ready to go. I sat down in the rocking chair to get my shoes on and Kelly fixed himself a bowl of cereal. I just sat there thinking, "Really? I'm having contractions and you're fixing yourself a bowl of cereal?". I just sat there and waited. He then unloaded the dishwasher and started to load it back up. He finally said "Let me know when you're ready to go". I immediately responded, "Um, I'm ready to go". We took a picture of my huge belly and pulled out of the driveway at 4:45am.

No comments:

Post a Comment